Petrova, Sharapova in, Stosur out in Indian Wells
13.03.2012 - Tennis
March 7-18, 2012
Two former champions and WTA World No. 1s, Ana Ivanovic and Caroline Wozniacki, will go head-to-head for a quarter-final spot at the BNP Paribas Open after both rallied for three-sets wins on Monday at the BNP Paribas Open.
Ivanovic, the 2008 winner, earned her place in the Round of 16 courtesy of a 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-2 win over Kazakhstani Ksenia Pervak. The 15th-seeded Serbian dropped her opening service game in the third set, but came back to win the next four games and broke Pervak for a eighth time in the match to claim the two hour, 55-minute victory.
“I was just happy that I managed to win that match,” admitted Ivanovic. “I really felt she was playing well today. Not one moment was I thinking about the score. I was playing point by point and fighting, and that's why I was really happy. I felt like I could keep going and I was really on such a high and adrenaline running through the body. I felt very good. We had some longer rallies that third set than we had in the first.”
Defending champion and No. 4 seed Wozniacki advanced with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 win over Sofia Arvidsson in two hours and 37 minutes. She took the crucial break in the 11th game of the second set and held serve to draw level, then broke the Swede three times in the final set.
Ivanovic and Wozniacki have split their previous four meetings. Ivanovic won the first two in 2008 at the Australian Open and French Open, while the Dane won in 2010 at Beijing and last month in Dubai.“I would actually really like a rematch because I felt like I was quite close in Dubai, but we both started off really nervous,” said Ivanovic. “The quality of the match was a little bit up and down.”
Monday, March 12, 2012
Singles - Third Round
(2) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 63 64
(4) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 36 75 62
(30) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (6) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 61 67(6) 76(5)
(7) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 62 60
(23) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. (10) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 62 ret. (GI illness)
(15) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Ksenia Pervak (KAZ) 67(8) 63 62
(21) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. (16) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 67(5) 60 64
(20) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) 62 46 64
Doubles - Second Round
(5) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. (WC) Azarenka/Kvitova (BLR/CZE) w/o (Kvitova: GI illness)
(WC) Dulko/Suárez (ARG/ARG) d. Begu/Martínez Sánchez (ROU/ESP) 43 ret. (Martínez Sánchez: right thigh injury)