Home News Product Reviews Health & Fitness Features Healthy Eating


If it is not your content, try to search here:
Waterpolo - 25. February 2008.


23 February 2008

Both title-favourites to win the men's and women's British Water Polo Championships were defeated in what was a fantastic day first day of the British Water Polo Championships in Manchester.

In the women's semi-finals, City of Manchester will take on Penguins A Ladies in the final after both teams made it through their respective semi-final matches.

photo Andrew Schofield

Penguins took on City of Liverpool taking the game 13-4 to set up their final clash tomorrow.

Liverpool began strongly and took the lead via Siobhan Winter after 85 seconds after some patient play in front of goal.

Penguins pulled one back quickly when Rebecca Donaghue hit the net but Liverpool did not rest on their laurels and soon regained the lead through Kathryn Dacre.

Liverpool extended their lead further with controlled passing and movement in the opposition half with Fiona McCann the goal-scorer.

With 20 seconds of time in the first quarter remaining, Penguins pulled themselves within one goal of Liverpool through Louisa Lickess.

During the break before the teams headed into the second quarter, Penguins gathered themselves and took the second period 3-1 to head into the final half of the match leading 5-4.

The London team were unstoppable in the third quarter and goals from Charlotte Hanson (2), Eleanor Thomas (2) and Rebecca Donaghue sent them into the final quarter 10-4 and possibly out of reach for the Liverpool team.

Penguins continued their domination of the final half of play in the final quarter, scoring another three goals through Eleanor Thomas to give her a third goal of the match and Charlotte Hanson (2) to take her tally to 4.

City of Manchester took a win against City of Sheffield 10-5 in a match which saw Manchester's physical power both defensively and during attacking phases over-power the Yorkshire team.

In a close first and second quarter, and following good periods of play from both teams, Manchester went into the final half 4-2 leaders.

Sheffield were unable to break Manchester's strong defence in the third quarter and were unable to convert any of their attacking plays into goals.

Manchester through Chloe Wilcox, Sarah Pimblett and Jemma Bury took their lead to 7-2 as they broke for the final quarter.

Sheffield were caught out by great start by Manchester who converted their first chance of the quarter with a goal from Wilcox for her third.

Sheffield were able to pull one back through Bernice Cowton but less than 20 seconds later Wilcox struck again.

Sheffield pulled two goals back with shots from Laura Evans and Victoria Ibbertson to take the score to 5-9 but Manchester had the final goal of the game when Victoria Hawkins found the back of the net.

Those teams which missed out on their respectively finals will battle for third and fourth place tomorrow.
Thank you so much, if you tweet or share
Have you read it?
Please follow us