Home News Product Reviews Health & Fitness Features Healthy Eating


If it is not your content, try to search here:
Hockey - 20. May 2008.

Shepherd+Wedderburn Scottish Cup Finals Results

Women's National League Plate Final
10:00AM Hillhead Ladies 1 GHK Ladies 3
J. Sinclair (63) FG I. Holloway (15) FG
S. McGilveray (16) FG
F. Donald (53) PC

The drizzle lifted briefly for the start of the Women’s National League Plate Final between GHK Ladies and Hillhead Ladies ‘A’, but soon returned for most of a fairly one sided game. This didn’t dampen GHK’s game however, who won the Plate 3-1. GHK turned out a strong team to play the Hillhead second team, which made for an entertaining match despite poor weather.

GHK started the more lively of the two sides, missing a very early opportunity to go into the lead through a well taken short corner, but Hillhead managed to deny them with some nervous defending. Susan McGilveray showed some great skills throughout the game, and demonstrated these early on to gain territory, but unfortunately GHK couldn’t do anything with it. They dominated the possession early on, with only a couple of quick counter attacks from Hillhead that troubled the GHK defence, but some great goalkeeping keeps them from scoring.

GHK continued to make the best of their possession, again with some great skills from McGilveray leading to Hillhead goalie being tested for the first time. Hillhead made a quick break a minute later, but Jill Thompson lost possession after a great run. GHK quickly pick up the pace after re-gaining possession and score the first goal of the match after a quick burst forward, with Iona Holloway scoring from open play.

This was shortly followed by a penalty corner for GHK that was put away by McGilveray. The scores reflected the run of the game, but Hillhead’s ‘A’ team still managed to apply pressure to GHK at intervals through the first half. They were denied several scoring opportunities by some quick thinking by the GHK defence, robbing them of possession.

GHK, playing in dark blue and green managed to make the most of their possession for the rest of the half, with some deft cross field passes really causing problems for Hillhead, who could only manage sporadic forays into the GHK half.

The second half started more brightly for Hillhead who started to gain possession and territory, but couldn’t make it count. Only some great goalkeeping from Kim Wood kept the scores at 2-0, until GHK’s Fiona Donald put the ball in the goal from a corner, setting the win out of Hillhead’s reach.
Hillhead managed to grab a consolation goal against the run of play however, with Jenny Sinclair bringing the scores to 3-1 at the final whistle.

Women's National League Cup Final
14:00PM Giffnock 1 Milne Craig Western 4
R. Simpson (39) FG H.Cram (11, 36,49, 61) FG, FG, PC, FG

Judge and Cram: Winning Combination for Western

In front of a full crowd, Sam Judge and Holly Cram teamed up to net all of Western's goals in their 4-1 win over Giffnock to take the Shepherd+Wedderburn Scottish Cup Saturday at Peffermill.

Giffnock came out strong and dominated the first half but couldn’t keep momentum. Ex Scotland internationalist, and Olympian, Rhona Simpson fired off a shot in the first 10 minutes to get Giffnock going but the shot went wide. Giffnock continued to maintain possession but couldn’t make it happen.

Then Western’s Sam Judge made a break down the left hand side and passed the ball through to Holly Cram who made a quick flick free hit to take the Glaswegians ahead by one. Despite the setback, Giffnock continued to dominate; keeping the ball in Western’s half. In the last five minutes of the first half Western made a push but couldn’t convert another goal.

First time coach, and ex Scotland player, Vishal Marwaha must have said something inspiring to Milne Craig Western during the break, or specifically to Holly Cram who came back to score a hat trick in the second half thanks to more assistance from Sam Judge.

Six minutes into the second half, Judge crossed a ball to Cram who hit the mark to bring the scoreline to 0-2 for Western. Rhona Simpson answered back three minutes later, rocketing a ball into the top left hand corner of the goal getting Giffnock on the board.

Both teams toughened up still seeing a chance for the cup. In the 49th minute Judge and Cram worked their magic again for a 1-3 lead. Giffnock had a few more chances; Fiona Sullivan ran the ball straight down the middle of the D with only the keeper to beat but couldn’t get passed.

Then Giffnock's Kimmie Bright made a run down the left side and hit a pass into Lyndsey Allan right in front of the goal but Western’s keeper came out to make the save. It was double trouble Judge and Cram who sealed the 1-4 victory for Western in the 61st minute.

The result takes away Giffnock’s chance for a place the European Trophy as Western will represent Scotland.


Thank you so much, if you tweet or share
Have you read it?
Sharni Layton retires from all forms of netball
Please follow us