|LIBEREC, Czech Republic (Feb. 17) - The Norwegian team won the women's classic technique team sprint Sunday. No U.S. team made it into finals. |
In the women's 4x1.4K race, Marit Bjoergen and Astrid Jacobsen of Norway -1 were the winners in 16:13.6. Finland-1 was second and Russia-1 finished third. The U.S. tandem of Laura Valaas (Wenatchee, WA) and Kikkan Randall (Anchorage, AK) finished 13th.
"In these team events, you have to be able to hammer it for three or four minutes and do it a couple of times in quick order, and we just didn't do it today," U.S. Head Coach Pete Vordenberg said. "We had good skis, and the athletes certainly did their best, but we've got to work more on that endurance."
The next World Cup stop is Falun, Sweden, for the Swedish Ski Games Saturday and Sunday with pursuits and relays.
2008 VIESSMANN FIS CROSS COUNTRY WORLD CUP
Liberec, CZE - Feb. 17, 2008
Classic Technique Team Sprint (10 teams made finals)
1. Norway-1 (Bjoergen/Jacobsen), 16:13.6.
2. Finland-1 (Saarinen/Muranen), 16:24.9
3. Russia-1 (Shapovalova/Matveeva), 16:37.1
4. Sweden-1 (Kalla/Ingemarsdotter), 16:49.6
5. Russia-2 (Korosteleva/Rotcheva), 16:58.0
13. USA (Laura Valaas - Wenatchee, WA/Kikkan Randall - Anchorage, AK)
# # #