|Hewitt ran away from Dollinger and the rest of the field in the final metres of the 10-kilometre run course to claim the first world cup victory of her career in a time of 1 hour 54 minutes and 31 seconds. Only 2 seconds back was Dollinger with another Kiwi, Nicky Samuels, in third a further 11 seconds down.|
It is a day of firsts as not only was it Hewitt’s first world cup win but also the first podium for both Dollinger and Samuels.
Hewitt led out of the opening swim in a time of 19:44 and would never look back as the former Under23 World Champion looked in fine form just over a month out from the world championships in Hamburg, Germany.
Hometown favourite and reigning Olympic Champion Kate Allen would run her way into 11th place with the fastest run on the day, despite getting caught in the second pack on the bike and exiting second transition over two minutes down. Pre race favourite Annabel Luxford of Australia would fail to finish, pulling out in the beginning stages of the run feeling weak and dizzy.
2007 Kitzbühel BG Triathlon World Cup – Elite Women Results
1. HEWITT, Andrea (NZL) 1:54:31
2. DOLLINGER, Eva (AUT) 1:54:34 +:02
3. SAMUELS, Nicky (NZL) 1:54:45 +:13
4. NIWATA, Kiyomi (JPN) 1:54:46 +:15
5. FRANZMANN, Joelle (GER) 1:54:53 +:21
6. SPIRIG, Nicola (SUI) 1:55:01 +:30
7. PILZ, Christiane (GER) 1:55:16 +:45
8. SWEETLAND, Kirsten (CAN) 1:55:27 +:56
9. PEON, Carole (FRA) 1:55:49 +1:17
10. HARRISON, Jessica (FRA) 1:56:00 +1:29
Picture by Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com
Ski & Snowboard season officially started
China International Women’s Match Race