Home News Product Reviews Health & Fitness Features Healthy Eating


If it is not your content, try to search here:
Rugby - 13. March 2011.

England trample Scotland 89-0 at Twickenham Stadium

England 89 Scotland 0

England Women will head to Dublin on Friday night as favourites to secure
the RBS 6 Nations title for a sixth successive year and the Grand Slam after
a comprehensive 89-0 demolition of Scotland on Sunday at Twickenham Stadium.

England ran in a massive 15 tries on route to the victory at the home of
England Rugby which sees the Rugby World Cup finalists continue their
unbeaten record at the stadium.

Fran Matthews, Emily Scarratt, Rochelle Clark, Maggie Alphonsi, Danielle
Waterman and Heather Fisher all claimed braces of tries whilst flanker
Fisher’s blistering efforts earned her the accolade of Player of the
Match. England now top the table with an unblemished record while France are
the only team who could spoil their party on Friday if England do not
complete the Grand Slam.

England Head Coach Gary Street said after the match: “I am really
happy with this result. After making some good headway in the first half we
stuck to the task after the restart and kept the momentum going. We managed
to put on an exciting show for the thousands of fans that stayed behind
whilst at the same time we did our basics well and stayed on track in the
right direction.

“We must keep on improving though and Friday is going to be a massive
game. This is a short turn around for both Ireland and ourselves and we need
to manage that well. They’ll be wounded after losing to Wales today so
I am sure they will throw everything they have at us come Friday

England were in control from the first kick of the ball with Worcester wing
Katherine Merchant putting England ahead after just a minute. Skipper Katy
McLean settled England’s nerves with a good kick to touch in
Scotland’s half. The tourists couldn’t control their line out
and La Toya Mason recycled the ball out to the midfield. Centre Rachael
Burford went close on the left wing, before the ball was recycled out to the
right again with Matthews setting up Merchant nicely. McLean missed the

Six minutes later and it was Matthews’ turn to add the first of her
two tries. England dominated possession and McLean fed Kim Oliver in the
midfield before fullback Scarratt made some good yards to set up Matthews on
the left wing.

Next up and it was Scarratt’s turn, playing in just her second game
at fullback for England. A good England scrum saw Mason recycle the ball out
to McLean and then Scarratt, who spotted a great line to carve her way
through Scotland’s defence and score under the posts. McLean this time
converted to make the score 17-0 after as many minutes.

Richmond lock Becky Essex claimed try number four for the home side after
Catherine Spencer made a good break. Fisher then burst through the midfield.
With McLean in support the fly half got the ball out to the left wing and
Essex showed great speed and strength to barge her way over the line despite
a high tackle from Scotland.

England’s charge continued with prop Rochelle Clark, in fine form
again after her prolific efforts against France two weeks ago, finishing off
where Burford couldn’t by muscling her way over the try line after
another England barrage of attack.

Matthews and then Fisher rounded off proceedings for England in the first
half with two strong tries in the space of just five minutes. With McLean
adding two more conversions England led 41-0 at the break.

Scotland couldn’t halt England’s charge after the restart and
failed to have any answers to the home side’s onslaught. Fisher
reopened England’s account after just 30 seconds following a nicely
floated McLean pass that enabled the powerhouse flanker to cut a great line
and run in from 22 metres out for a converted try.

Lichfield’s Scarratt and Worcester’s Clark added to their
tallies within the next ten minutes before replacement Alphonsi stamped her
mark on the game. Merchant, ever present on the wing, made some great space
and the England flanker was in support to finish off the move in style.

Captain McLean was next on the score sheet on 66 minutes to hand England a
75-0 lead before Alphonsi claimed her second try. This time replacement
Waterman was at the heart of the action with a great break. She
couldn’t go all the way and again Alphonsi was ready to pounce. She
did just that showing tremendous power and pace to secure England’s
13th try.

With five minutes to go the England train was showing no signs of slowing
and Waterman once again showed the rugby crowd her great footwork and pace
to dance around Scotland’s defence and score two tries in the dying
moments of the game. With McLean adding her seventh conversion England took
the 89-0 victory in style.  
Thank you so much, if you tweet or share
Have you read it?
17-strong Diamonds squad announced for International Test Series
Beaugrand powers to first WTS gold thanks to inspired run in Hamburg

photos Janos Schmidt 

Please follow us