|PARK CITY, Utah (Feb. 1) -In the women's competition, the French led the top two spots with Ophelie David winning with a time of 1:10.99 and Meryl Boulangeat in second at 1:11.31. Sasa Faric of Slovenia was third with 1:11.34. Langely McNeal (Ketchum, ID) slipped into finals in 16th place.|
Ski Cross Head Coach Tyler Shepherd believes that with different weather and the pack racing style, Saturday's finals heats will be a different ballgame. He said three feet of snow, from three snowstorms this week, have slowed the athletes a bit from their normal speed.
"The course ran a lot slower today so I think when they come out of the 'Daytona' [the seventh turn in the course] whoever can pinch someone out right there, that's where I think places will be established," Shepherd said. "I'll be really surprised if anything happens at the finish."
2008 FIS FREESTYLE WORLD CUP
Visa Freestyle International
Deer Valley Resort
Park City, UT - Feb. 1
Women's Ski Cross Qualifications (16 qualified)
1. Ophelie David, France, 1:10.99
2. Meryl Boulangeat, France, 1:11.31
3. Sasa Faric, Slovenia, 1:11.34
4. Emilie Serain, Switzerland, 1:11.37
5. Seraina Murk, Switzerland, 1:11.93
16. Langely McNeal, Ketchum, ID, 1:14.81
– but the sailors praise the new boats