CANMORE, AB (Feb. 5) –Caitlin Compton (Minneapolis, MN) marked a career best Friday, finishing 14th during a World Cup 10K freestyle event in Canmore, just one week before she heads to the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Compton's results topped U.S. performances in the race, which was won by Italy’s Giorgio Di Centa and Sweden’s Charlotte Kalla. Justyna Kowalcyk of Poland was second and Russia's Irina Khazova Was third.
Morgan Arritola (Ketchum, ID) finished 23rd to mark her best individual result on the circuit. It was also an exciting day for Holly Brooks (Anchorage) who marked her first World Cup finishing 24th.
The World Cup action continues in Canmore on Saturday with the women's classic sprints. From there, some of the U.S. athletes will be Vancouver Bound, ready to compete for their country.
Canmore, AB - Feb. 5, 2010
1. Charlotte Kalla, Sweden, 25:00.60
2. Justyna Kowalcyk, Poland, 25:10.30
3. Irina Khazova, Russia, 25:17.10
4. Valentina Shevchenko, Ukraine, 25:29.30
5. Anna Haag, Sweden, 25:39.40
14. Caitlin Compton, Minneapolis, MN, 26:19.40
23. Morgan Arritola, Ketchum, ID, 26:41.00
24. Holly Brooks, Anchorage, AK, 26:43.60
36. Elizabeth Stephen, East Mountpelier, VT, 27:03.30
44. Kikkan Randall, Anchorage, AK, 27:27.70
48. Kristina Trygstad-Saari, Bozeman, MT, 27:47.40
52. Nicole Deyong, Ketchum, ID, 28:18.10
55. Rebecca Rorabaugh, Anchorage, AK, 28:45.90
58. Laura Valaas, Anchorage, AK, 29:30.80
# # #
photo Cheltenham jockey club
photo Cheltenham Racecourse