Home News Product Reviews Health & Fitness Features Healthy Eating


If it is not your content, try to search here:
Football - 18. June 2012.

An opportunistic free-kick from Rachel Yankey wins crucial clash with the Dutch

By Glenn Lavery at Salford City Stadium for the FA

England seized the initiative in their Euro 2013 qualifying group with a 1-0 win over current leaders Holland in Salford.

Rachel Yankey scored the winner with a quickly taken free-kick on 67 minutes leaving England two points behind the Dutch with game in hand.

They now travel to Slovenia on Thursday looking for a win that would send them top of Group 6. They would then just need to beat Croatia at home in September to seal a place at Sweden 2013, and what would be their fifth straight appearance at a major Finals.

An entertaining opening ensued between the top two sides in the group and it was Holland’s Lieke Martens who registered the game’s first shot at goal in the sixth minute. Rachel Brown had it covered but couldn’t quite gather and the ball went out for a corner.

Karen Carney responded immediately and cracked a shot just high of Loes Geurts’ bar. Rachel Williams then headed into Geurts' arms after being found by Yankey’s in-swinging right-wing cross.

The game developed into a fairly even contest with the hosts shading possession, but the ball was only being kept around the back and middle thirds. When the hosts did carve out an opening, right-back Alex Scott couldn’t connect properly with her cross and the ball bent out for a goal kick.

Eniola Aluko started brightly on the right wing and she had England’s best chance of the half when she was released by Rachel Williams, but her angled drive was well held by Geurts, although Aluko probably should have shot first time.

With 42 goals in 89 previous international, it was inevitable that Holland’s Manon Melis would eventually see a chance fall her way and just before the half an hour mark she forced a decent save from Brown, which kept the score goalless.

Ellen White was introduced at the beginning of the second half for Williams, and she was straight into the action, rifling home an angled volley from the edge of the area, only for her sublime strike to be ruled out for offside.

The second period followed much the same pattern as the first, with neither side able to totally dominate or create many clear-cut chances but Jill Scott did head a Carney free-kick just over the bar.

With the game so evenly poised, it seemed likely that a set piece was the best route to goal for both sides, and that proved to be the case when Holland captain Daphne Koster fouled Fara Williams on the edge of the box.

With Geurts busy organising her wall, Yankey took full advantage and sent a quick free-kick into the back of the net.

It was just the breakthrough that England needed to give themselves a chance of overhauling Holland at the top of the group, but the Dutch came straight back at the Three Lions and just a minute after conceding Anouk Hoogendijk hit a shot across goal which Brown was relieved to see clip the upright.

A draw would have been good enough for the Dutch to maintain control of the group and Melis called Brown into action once again, this time with a header to the back post, but the ‘keeper was alert and kept England’s lead intact.

Brown had one more save to make in added time, comfortably collecting Melis' shot from 20 yards as England held on for what could prove to be three vital points.


Thank you so much, if you tweet or share
Have you read it?
17-strong Diamonds squad announced for International Test Series
Please follow us